Friday, January 6, 2012

For guys, a great find is often multiplied..........

Came across a New York Times article via Valet about how men buy clothes differently from women. Most women find shopping as a social activity. Men find it as a must do event when something is worn out. Men have the tendency to hoard what they like.

This NYT article pretty well describes myself and my closet. Yes my closet is full, but almost every item has an exact mate if not multiple duplication.

My navy blue sweaters are a fine example. I remember years ago traveling with my father when he finally asked "Do you have any other color of sweaters" being tired of seeing me every day in the traditional navy blue, boiled Shetland wool crew.

Last year I had a serious problem, down to one navy Shetland with the elbows patched and the crew neck raveling I found myself in replacement mode. Searching Ebay, retail shopping and direct factory outlets on line throughout the summer proved to be stressful and not fruitful. Finally the sweater was found, true to my specifications and I ordered two.

Why two? I figured if I keep my sweater in good repair and clean it should last 10-12 years. Figuring that I am sixty now, the new sweater will last until I am 70-72 years old. The un-packaged hoarded sweater will last me until when I am 80-84 years old. After this I will no longer be worrying about the sweater, Andrew has directions just to tell me in the nursing home that I am wearing a navy Shetland even though it is a gray cardigan with the funny pockets. I won't know the difference within minutes after I ask the question.


Click here to read the NY Times article, it will appreciate your buying habits.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I do this with Gold Toe women's socks...I learned it from you.